The Fertilizer Institute’s 5th State of the Fertilizer Industry Report Highlights Improvement in Environmental Impact, Safety, and On-Farm Fertilizer Use
WASHINGTON, Feb. 18, 2020 – The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) today released its fifth State of the Fertilizer Industry Report. The report tracks social, environmental, and economic metrics across the entire value chain to identify industry progress and mark areas for improvement. Since 2013, the industry has made significant improvements in water use, greenhouse gas emissions, and research on and adoption of 4R Nutrient Stewardship practices.
“The business community is making sustainability a priority, and the fertilizer industry is no different,” said Corey Rosenbusch, TFI President and CEO. “As TFI marks five years of collecting sustainability data, I am excited to be able to look back at the accomplishments we’ve made while also charting a path to where we want to be in the next five years and beyond.”
This year’s report includes data representing 34 companies in the manufacturing, retail, and wholesaler and distributor space. The data represents 91 percent of manufacturing capacity and 32 percent of the retail industry in the United States. Report highlights include:
- The industry is more than twice as safe as industry peers when compared to benchmark data from the Department of Labor.
- The fertilizer industry delivers more than $130 billion in economic impact in the United States.
- Total energy use per nutrient ton of fertilizer produced decreased 3 percent from the prior year.
- In 2018, the industry captured more than 4.5 times the greenhouse gas emissions that were captured in 2013. These captured emissions were then used for other industrial purposes.
- Nitrogen producers are using half the amount of water per nutrient ton produced than they did in 2013.
The report showcases data on all segments of the fertilizer industry from fertilizer use on the farm, the impact on people and communities, energy and environment, and transportation. For the first time this year, TFI is able to report that nearly 6 million tons of recycled materials were used in the production fertilizer.
The fertilizer industry employs more than 103,000 people in the United States. To capture their work and impact, the State of the Industry Report features interviews with employees across the value chain, including those who partner with the industry on research and stewardship initiatives.
To learn more about this year’s State of the Fertilizer Industry report, visit fertilizerreport.org.
The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) is the leading voice of the nation’s fertilizer industry. Tracing its roots back to 1883, TFI’s membership includes fertilizer producers, wholesalers, retailers, and trading firms. TFI’s full-time staff, based in Washington, D.C., serves its members through legislative, educational, technical, economic information and public communication programs. Find more information about TFI online at TFI.org.