TFI Applauds White House Leadership on Rail Strike
ARLINGTON, VA – In a statement from President and CEO Corey Rosenbusch, The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) today praised the Biden Administration for its leadership to avert an economically devastating rail strike by codifying agreements made between labor unions and rail carriers in September.
“TFI appreciates the leadership shown by President Biden in emphatically supporting efforts to codify the Tentative Agreements reached by rail carriers and labor unions in September. With over half of all fertilizer moving by rail year-round, we absolutely cannot afford a rail strike and Congress must act now to ensure that fertilizers and other critical materials and goods that U.S. consumers rely on every day get to where they are needed. Without Congressional action, rail networks will shut down on Dec. 9th, but our deadline is Sunday, December 4th which is when ammonia and other fertilizers and inputs will stop moving on the rails in preparation for a strike. These embargoes could hamper production and add additional uncertainty to an already tight global market.”
TFI has been heavily engaged in efforts to avert a nationwide rail network shutdown and will continue to do so until the matter is resolved. Below are past press releases and advocacy letters from TFI related to the potential rail strike.
- November 7th Press Release: TFI: Fertilizer Comes Off the Rails in One Week without Congressional Action
- November 7th TFI Letter to Congressional Leadership: Rail-Labor Contract Negotiations
- September 15th Press Release: TFI Commends Deal Between Rail Carriers and Unions
- September 14th Press Release: TFI: America Can’t Afford a Rail Strike, Congress Must Act
- September 10th Press Release: TFI Urges Agreement or Congressional Action to Avoid Rail Shutdown
- September 8th Press Release: TFI Urges Congressional Action to Avert Nationwide Rail Stoppage
- September 7th TFI Letter to Congressional Leadership: Rail Operations and Service
- August 18th Press Release: TFI Urges Speedy Rail-Labor Union Contract Settlement
The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) is the leading voice of the nation’s fertilizer industry. Tracing its roots back to 1883, TFI’s membership includes fertilizer producers, wholesalers, retailers and trading firms. TFI’s full-time staff, based in Washington, D.C., serves its members through legislative, educational, technical, economic information and public communication programs. Find more information about TFI online at TFI.org and follow us on Twitter at @Fertilizer_Inst. Learn more about TFI’s nutrient stewardship initiatives at nutrientstewardship.org and on Twitter at @4rnutrients.